La Ventana Classic, Baja Sur: This winter escape to warm weather and good times
Enjoy the La Ventana Classic, a somewhat raucous, adventurous and unique windsport/paddle sport event. Set for January 25-29, 2017 in Baja Sur, Mexico, at a stunning event site situated between the azure beauty of the sea Cortez and the rustic foothills of the Sierra de la Laguna mountain range.
The La Ventana Classic is a unique gathering of water and wind driven athletes…sharing the mission of having a great time and supporting a great cause. The LVC is a vital fundraiser for the schools of La Ventana/El Sargento villages. The event has raised over $100,000 since it’s inception, assisting the local community with much needed education program funds.
Paddleboard (SUP & Prone) racers will compete in “downwind” course and distance races including the challenging 11-mile channel crossing from Cervalo to La Ventana. Kite Foils, Kiteboarders and Windsurfers compete in distance and course races, as well as, freestyle and big air contests.
In addition to the many fun events, there will be awesome beach parties, rocking bands, authentic Mexican food vendors, colorful dance presentations by local schools, and most excellent awards party. The event will be MC’d by the infamous kiteboarder icon Neil Hutchinson of X-Rated Kiteboarding and Grom Gormley the icon of west coast Kiteboarding events.
The 9th annual La Ventana Classic and is organized by Tim Hatler of Palapas Ventana resort and Marina Chang of The Kiteboarder Magazine. The event takes place in La Ventana, Baja Mexico – 35 minutes from the La Paz Airport and 2.5 hours from the Cabo Airport.
For more information:
Event website: http://laventanaclassic.com/
Barrett Tester, SUP Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. (714) 366-4848 Maria Chang, Kite & Expo Coordinator: email@example.com
Tim Hatler, LVC Event Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
LVC Steps to take
1. Set LVC on calendar – January 25-29, 2017.
2. Reservations for Casita/accommodations – stay with our sponsors and support the schools. http://laventanaclassic.com/travel-lodging/where-to-stay
3. Transportation – http://laventanaclassic.com/travel-lodging/transportation 4. Board shipping – Easily ship your board to and from San Diego to LVC: Cost: $165 From San Diego (Location: Surftech, Cardiff, CA) to La Ventana Classic and back. Contact: email email@example.com For details and reservations.
5. Check safety equipment – PFD and leashes are mandatory to participate, all entrants must carry hydration (packs or bottles) and come prepared with the necessary aquatic apparel/gear & sunscreen/sunblock. Participants must be competent swimmers.
6. Plan to have a great time!!!
The Cause – raising vital funds for local community education needs
The La Ventana Classic is an event that supports the local schools in the small Baja community of La Ventana and El Sargento. All the event proceeds, beyond the costs of running the event, will go directly to Amigos de Alumnos for scholarships that keep local kids in high school. Although the cost of high school is only $300 USD annually per student (which includes tuition, books, and transportation) this cost is a roadblock that currently causes a high drop-out rate for high school students in La Ventana and El Sargento. In the past, the La Ventana Classic has hosted over 15 of the top kiteboarding companies at the KiteXpo, 137 riders in the event, and had an overall excellent turnout of spectators and participants. The La Ventana Classic has raised and implemented over $100,000 USD in direct projects at 5 local schools and health center over the over the course of eight years. In 2016 we raised over $14,000 USD!